Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The "little girls"

From the time I met Andrew's family, I knew the "little girls" as everyone referred to them; had a special relationship. I know Lauren and Lydia have a pretty neat relationship as well, but with both of them already gone from the home; I wasn't privy to seeing it first hand like I was with Susanna and Caitlin. The two youngest are super close in age, and have grown up like twins in a lot of ways. They have one of the fiercest/most loyal loves for one another I have ever seen. Don't let their beautiful faces fool you though, they can fight with one another pretty fiercely as well! wink

I remember driving home from Chapel Hill early this year, and calling Andrew to tell him I was on my way home. He had gone to his parents to borrow something, and I could hear a lot of commotion in the background. That is when he told me, "Ryan proposed to Susanna today." After my immediate squeal with delight and some tears for Susanna, I texted Caitlin to tell her I loved her. Not that Caitlin wouldn't be happy for her, but I knew that this was a big deal for their relationship. I wanted Caitlin to know that I recognized that, and that I was thinking about her.

This past Sunday, as I sat at Susanna's bridal luncheon (that Caitlin hosted), I teared up several times thinking about the two of them. I know I am not a "blood" sister, or their mother (ha); but I couldn't quit thinking "where did the little girls go?" Both of them have been "big girls" for quite some time now. They both have graduated from UNC, bought cars, gotten jobs, etc. But now, in just three short days; one will be a wife and the other on her way to make a permanent residence in Tennessee. Both of these transitions have a permanence to them, that makes me cry AND cheer for them. This isn't just some boy that is around for awhile, and Caitlin isn't coming home after the summer or even a year long stint. This is for real.... and for good.

So girls, I have loved watching you two grow your relationship and I can't wait to see where it goes from here as well. I sincerely hope that Ceilidh and Jane have as fierce of a love for one another that you have. I love you individually, and I love you as a pair. So I raise my glass to you both, and say "Cheers, to the not so 'little girls'!"

1 comment:

aunt susanna said...

thanks cyndy!

i love you caitlin!