Thursday, January 16, 2014

I (we) love books!

I have always loved how much Ceilidh enjoys a good book. Graeme will not be denied a good story either! ;) The jury is still out on little Jane. She enjoys listening to stories; but most of the time they are geared more towards the older two and she loses interest. I need to make more of an effort to spend reading time with Jane by herself. Jane is still loving all things dog and baby doll, so I can't go wrong looking for those books at the library. Graeme is still big into policemen, firemen, construction workers, and trucks of ALL types. Ceilidh and I are one chapter from finishing Little Town on the Prairie and then will be heading straight into These Happy Golden Years. Ceilidh has been peeking through those pages for a few weeks now b/c we realized that is when Almanzo is finally going to profess his love for Laura! That should be fun to read! ;)  Ceilidh, Graeme, and I have also started a brand new series called Growly Books. I saw a recommendation from a girlfriend on FB one day, and Ceilidh received the first two books for Christmas. We (intentionally including myself) are obsessed with this book! It is full of adventure and mystery and friendship. You should totally check it out if you have younger school age children or bookmark this title for the future if you are almost there! I wasn't necessarily planning on making this a literary critique post. Sorry for the tangent. HA

I did want to introduce this coming video though. I realize that memorization and/or picture recognition isn't true 'reading,' but that is absolutely part of the foundations of reading. We picked this book up at the library and I read it to him twice that afternoon. That is all. By that evening, he was 'reading' it all by himself. He was/is V.E.R.Y. proud of himself! ;) Without further ado, Graeme reading for the first time! And a few other cute pictures!


Checking out an old 'scar' from the turpentine days


His 'About Me' poster




1 comment:

Spencer and Emily said...

so sweet Cyndy! Are you still homeschooling?