Saturday was Suzanne's birthday, so we all got together on Sunday after church to celebrate. Ceilidh is on board to celebrate just about anything; but was super excited that the reason for celebrating this weekend was ZZ! ha Butter Pecan ice cream is some of her favorite ice cream, so Andrew and I made a homemade Butter Pecan cake for her. It wasn't half bad for my first try. My husband almost disowned me during the process (ha), but by 1am Sunday morning, we were actually agreeably working together! After having an emotional break down, and after apologizing for being a bit touchy about my baking attempt, he saved me (and the cake) during the icing part. Have you ever tried to make homemade icing?!! It doesn't seem like it would be difficult, but it is definitely more frustrating than popping the top to a icing container! ha Even though he helped me thicken it up quite a bit, it was still a bit more runny than I would have preferred.
Side note: Did you know that Corn Starch has no taste and is a thickening agent? I had no idea. Thanks honey for the baking lessons. In fact, I have no clue why it was in our cabinet in the first place.
No matter the cake, Caitlin and Susanna's lasagna was great; and Ceilidh is always ready to sing Happy Birthday! It is always fun when we all get together.
After ZZ's party, all the ladies (and little Graeme! ha) went to Lydia's house and celebrated Lauren/Jack at a Blessing way. This was such a neat first experience for me. When Lydia invited us all, I looked up Blessing Ways on the Internet simply b/c I didn't know anything about them. Modern Day baby showers have their origins in BW's and I believe they started as a Navajo tradition. It is a ceremony to honor/celebrate the expectant mother's rite of passage into motherhood. It was a very moving time together, and I'm so thankful that the original Clendenin women include me as a sister. We each prepared a blessing/word of advice/encouragement to speak to Lauren. After we gave our blessing, we gave her a bead to represent what we said. We placed the beads on a bracelet that Lauren will wear until Jack is born, so that she has a constant reminder of the words spoken to her as she prepares for labor, birth, and motherhood. We also brought food that was symbolic or a comfort food for Lauren. Caitlin and I both brought skittles. Great minds think alike Cait! wink I have to say though, that Lydia's creme brulee was my favorite. ummm, YUM! She made creme brulee to represent the sweetness of motherhood even when you feel a little under fire. ha! Thanks for the special memory girls!
It was a great weekend even though I got a massive headache towards the end of Sunday night. The headache might have come on thinking about how very soon, we will have 4 little boys 3 and under in the Clendenin family! ha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I made homemade icing one Halloween for a party... I remember if as being more difficult than labor. I ended up throwing it out and going to the store! You're a trooper for sticking with it! Can't wait to see you guys soon!
Post a Comment